At Emerson Primary, home of the Little Jackets, we believe that all students' social-emotional and academic development should be nurtured through a variety of counseling activities.
Through classroom, group, and individual counseling, students are able to find coping strategies that will empower them to become happy, healthy children and productive, resilient adults later in life. We are building the foundation for future personal, academic, and career success at an early age!
Who are school counselors?
School counselors are certified/licensed educators who improve student success for ALL students by implementing a comprehensive school counseling program.
What does a school counselor do?
- Individual student academic planning and goal setting
- School counseling classroom lessons based on student success standards
- Short-term counseling to students referrals for long-term support collaboration with families/teachers/ administrators/ community for student success
- Advocacy for students at individual education plan meetings and other student-focused meetings
- Data analysis to identify student issues, needs, and challenges
- Acting as a systems change agent to improve equity and access, achievement, and opportunities for all students
The counselor can help connect students and families with resources in the community that will help with positive development outside of the school setting.
Confidentiality is a priority when I meet with students because the relationships I build with my students are special and important in getting children the help they need regarding difficult topics. I will only notify you about what your student and I discuss if they disclose that
- the student is being hurt by someone
- the student is planning to hurt themselves
- the student is planning to hurt someone else OR
- the student has given me permission to share something with you.
I am very excited to be the school counselor at Emerson Primary! As a school counselor, I take on many different roles; across those many roles, the most important goal for me is to help build a positive relationship with students, families, and the community as a trusted adult. I would like to help students recognize and understand their emotions/feelings and help them work through challenges so they can become the best version of themselves to succeed both in and out of the classroom. Being in this position, I am always here to help and do the best that I can. I cannot always fix everything for your child but I will do everything in my power to assist your child in becoming a healthy student who can succeed in his or her academic and social-emotional goals. Together, Emerson students and I will work together to learn, explore, and develop skills that will help assist all children to build bright futures and achieve their goals.